We have all thought that.
And since this is Monday, many people are feeling that desire stronger than ever. They spent the weekend hassle-free, doing things they enjoy (hopefully) and now have to go back to the grind.
If you are not happy, really happy, then why don't you quit?
I can tell you why I didn't. The money was good and to be perfectly honest, I was lazy. The whole idea of rewriting the resume and trying to covertly arrange job interviews was a hassle to think about, never mind actually do.
So I stayed.
Until one sunny fall Sunday, working alone, I decided to leave it all behind. Anyone who listens to ZEN commuter knows the story.
But this blog is about you. How do you feel about your job? I figure there are five major beliefs when it comes to a job/career:
- I love what I do. The company I work for is awesome.
- I love the work I do, working for myself
- Some of my job stinks, but for the most part, it's easy and I get paid well
- Most of it stinks and I am just gonna coast because I don't want to have to look for anything else.It pays the bills
- It is the absolute worst and I will do anything to be out of here
That's a pretty broad spectrum. To be honest, I can't tell you what to do if situation 3, 4 or 5 resonates with you. In fact, I can't even say if you need to do anything. The only one who knows that answer is you, not your significant other, parents or best friend. It's you.
So ask yourself.
Ask yourself what to do. Go somewhere quiet, close your eyes and ask. You will get an answer. Don't sit on it though. Act on it, despite the fear that crop up.
Real simply, life is not meant to be a chore. If you aren't doing what makes you happy, then you have to go after what does, despite the fear.
Life is short. Make it what you want it to be.